The topic for the 2014 Symposium was "Does Election Law Serve the Electorate?"
The Symposium took place on Friday, November 7, 2014, at the University of Chicago Law School.
The Legal Forum would like to thank all the individuals listed below for their participation in the Symposium.
Listen to recordings of the four panels:
- Panel One: Governance, Polarization, and the Role of Election Law. Featuring Josh Chafetz, Ellen Katz, Nolan McCarty, David Schleicher, and Zephyr Teachout.
- Panel Two: Voters and Redistricting. Featuring Edward Foley, Michael Morley, Nate Persily, James Sample, and Nicholas Stephanopoulos.
- Panel Three: Campaign Finance. Featuring Richard Briffault and David Strauss.
- Panel Four: Rules and Regulations. Featuring Luis Fuentes-Rohwer, Guy-Uriel Charles, Richard Hasen, and Michael Pitts.
Watch Professor Cass Sunstein's Keynote Address, "Partyism":
Schedule of Events
Panel One: Governance, Polarization, and the Role of Election Law
9:00 a.m.-10:30 a.m., Room V
- Josh Chafetz - Professor of Law, Cornell University Law School
- Ellen Katz - Ralph W. Aigler Professor of Law, University of Michigan Law School
- Nolan McCarty - Susan Dod Brown Professor of Politicans and Public Affairs and Chair of the Department of Politics, Princeton University
- David Schleicher - Associate Professor of Law, George Mason University School of Law
- Zephyr Teachout - Associate Professor of Law, Fordham University School of Law
Panel Two: Voters and Redistricting
10:45 a.m.-12:00 p.m., Room V
- Edward Foley - Charles W. Ebersold and Florence Whitcomb Ebersold Chair in Constitutional Law and Director of Election Law @ Moritz, The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law
- Michael Morley - Assistant Professor of Law, Barry University School of Law
- Nathaniel Persily - James B. McClatchy Professor of Law, Stanford Law School
- James Sample - Associate Pro
- fessor of Law, Hofstra University School of Law
- Nicholas Stephanopoulos - Assistant Proefssor of Law, University of Chicago Law School
12:15 p.m., Room II
- Cass Sunstein - Felix Frankfurter Professor of Law, Harvard Law School
Panel Three: Campaign Finance
1:45 p.m.-2:15 p.m., Room V
- Richard Briffault - Joseph P. Chamberlain Professor of Legislation, Columbia Law School
- David Strauss - Gerald Ratner Distinguished Service Professor of Law, University of Chicago Law School
Panel Four: Rules and Regulations
2:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m., Room V
- Guy-Uriel Charles - Charles S. Rhyne Professor of Law, Duke University School of Law
- Luis Fuentes-Rohwer - Professor of Law and Harry T. Ice Faculty Fellow, Indiana Unviersity Maurer School of Law
- Richard Hasen - Chancellor's Professor of Law and Political Science, University of California, Irvine School of Law
- Michael Pitts - Professor of Law and Dean's Fellow, Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
3:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m., Green Lounge